How We Approach Research
DQC continually develops new research approaches to answer the field’s evolving questions and to articulate how and why data is being used in education. Common research activities include:
Policy and legislative analyses
Analyzing state, federal, and local policies and legislation shines a light on how policymakers support and improve data practices.
- Education Data Legislation Review: 2020 State Activity
- Accurate Student Poverty Data Is Crucial to Supporting All Students
Exploring one issue across 50 states and Washington, DC, provides a clearer picture of the field, identifies bright spots where states are doing more and going farther, and helps uncover common and consistent challenges faced by state leaders.
Keeping a pulse on how stakeholders think about and use education data grounds DQC’s recommendations and resources in the realities of those closest to students.
- Parents Want Data to Understand the Impact of School Closures and Support Recovery
- Tennessee Teachers Value, Use, and Need Data
Diving deeper into an issue by sharing real examples of how leaders are using data or implementing best practices showcases the critical human element of this work and provides the field with “look to’s” as leaders tackle common challenges.
- Empowering Families with Data: How Washington, DC, Engaged Stakeholders to Build Its School Report Card
- Using Social-Emotional Learning Data in the CORE Districts: Lessons Learned
The evidence generated by DQC’s research informs a wide array of publications and resources including policy recommendations, case studies, infographics, and blog posts.
Translating Data into Action
Read more about DQC’s work to understand state and local data efforts.
What’s New in Research
Education Data 101
Data is one of the most powerful tools to inform, engage, and create opportunities for individuals along their journey through education and into the workforce—and it‘s much more than test scores.
We advocate to change the role of data to ensure that data works for everyone navigating their education and workforce journeys.