Data is a critical tool to answer questions and help inform policy decisions. Likewise, everyone involved in an individual’s unique journey through education and into the workforce needs timely, accurate data to provide insights and drive improvements.
This briefing book is meant to bring policymakers (and anyone interested in education to workforce data) up to speed on 12 of the most pressing topics in state data, which include:
- Student data helps improve student achievement.
- Postsecondary data provides insights about students, schools, and outcomes.
- Workforce data helps identify trends and inform decisions about the future.
- State longitudinal data systems help answer questions and drive systemic change, economic mobility, and student success.
- Data governance policies maximize investments in state data systems.
- Student data must be kept private and secure.
- Student growth data provides a more equitable picture of student and school performance.
- Data generates the evidence that state and system leaders need to make decisions.
- State report cards provide the public information about student and school performance.
- Data empowers teachers and parents with information to better support learning.
- Educator preparation programs need data to improve teacher training and quality.
- Teachers must be equipped with the skills to understand and use data effectively.